D Murphy

Ignoramus9970 wrote in
:

On 1 Apr 2005 23:30:30 GMT, D Murphy wrote:
Ignoramus9970 wrote in
news:d2joru$mmb :

Someone is selling a few "beryllium copper rods".

BERYLIUM RODS (composition 1. 58 Bery; 0. 28 Cobalt; 0. 12 Nickel,
and other elements)7018, 7025(334), 7032(113), 7054, 7095.
N658864267F302 55

ASTM, B196, C172 alloy (alloy 25)

Each bar is 24" long and approximately 2" thick (heavy stuff).

C172 alloy is described at

http://www.freedomalloysusa.com/be_co_f_r_p.shtml

Each rod should be approximately 30 lbs.

I am curious if these rods have any value at all, if so, what is
their use, and how much could they sell per lb.

BeCu is a fairly common alloy. You can be sure that there is some in
your house. I've machined loads of it, C172 cuts similar to 360 (half
hard) brass. It is used in RF connectors for the center contacts. It
can be heat treated and retains its "spring" so its ideal for making
slotted and crimped contacts. It's also used in fibre optic
connectors, and as someone else mentioned for non sparking hand
tools. The amount of Beryllium in C172 is fairly low, and machining
it is not especially hazardous. To be on the safe side it's best not
to do any machining that creates dust such as grinding and buffing. A
few years back there was a shortage of BeCu and companies were paying
big bucks for it. I'm not sure what the going rate is for it today.

Thanks... I could not find the going rate for it, either.

Call these guys. They are right off of 90 by RT83.
http://www.brushwellman.com/

--

Dan