Andy Hall

Default Central heating layout design

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:03:58 +0000 (UTC), (Niel
A. Farrow) wrote:

Hi, I'm redesigning my central heating, changing from an old oil boiler to
gas and installing a new HWT.

Currently, the boiler is at one end of my long end semi. The pipes split
next to the boiler, one set going upstairs and travelling to the front of
the house to serve the upstairs rads, and the same downstairs.

I would like to move the HWT to the landing in the middle of the house
with the boiler above it in the attic (changing to fully pumped).

My question is;
With this arrangement the pipe from the boiler will split for upstairs
and downstairs rads, but instead of being a straight run they will both
have T-pieces near the boiler for the pipes runs to the rads at the front
and rear of the house. Will this work and be efficient.

Thank you,

Neil

I had a very similar issue, Neil.

It will certainly work and there are a few things that you can do to
improve the flow conditions.

- If possible, and the fittings allow, do the connections to the
boiler in 28mm rather than 22mm.

- It is best to make swept bends with a pipe bender to reduce the
resistance. If you don't have a bender for 28mm, a good substitute
is to use two obtuse bends with a short length of pipe between them.

- For the tees I used 28mm types which instead of being completely
angular are made with a swept bend each way. I then ran about a
metre of 28mm pipe on each leg before reducing down to 22mm.
I used 28mm zone valves.

The key thing is to avoid using sharp bends wherever you can.
If you have a choice of pump, a Grundfos Alpha is useful because it
has adjustment but also adjusts output automatically to the pressure
resistance

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl