Jim McGill

Jim

I'm a native Portlander and the metal grating on the Morrison Street
bridge is legendary for its slickness. Even a thick fog will make it
treacherous. It's an unusually large mesh (maybe 4" on center
triangles), so you don't have much tire on any surface. I've run across
it during a foot race and it's frightening. I'd never ride a bike on it.
If she was changing lanes, breaking, or coming onto the bridge from one
of the curving on ramps, she could easily have lost it. People spin and
crash on that bridge all the time. A few years back a motorcyclist slid,
fell off his bike and ground all the way though his right elbow before
he stopped. I think the main difference between this accident and all
the others (and there are several each winter on that bridge) is that
the SUV was tall enough to go over the top of the 3' railing. She was
damned lucky, though, that water is cold this time of year (lot of snow
melt) and has a serious current.

Jim