Emmo

A clay trap is often used for airgun target shooting. Mine is a homemade
12"x12"x3" box with about 2" of plumbers' clay in it. (I have also used
regular plasticine modeling clay). A layer of cardboard on top, and tape
the target to that.

A friend and I have invented a new sport -- recliner shooting. We both
bought Feinwerkbau 10meter pistols for way too much money. Mine has the
electronic trigger, he went with the more traditional. We set up targets on
plasticene-filled 'quiet stops' in our respective fireplaces,(he is in New
Hampshire, I am in Texas), and lie back in our recliners while we watch the
late night cable channels and drink green chartreuse, while our wives and
kids are asleep down the hall. I don't know how good he is getting, as it
has been a while since we have gotten together, but I got pretty good after
5000 pellets or so...

I actually have two targets, the clay filled target frame, as above,
which is dead quiet, and a metal spinner target where you shoot 4 and the
5th resets them, so you never have to get up out of the chair, which is
preferred, but noisy, more appropriate for use while watching drag racing
all day Sunday.

I also use a monocular as a spotting scope to verify my errors
after every shot. Some sort of tripod arrangement mounted to the recliner
would be a great improvement, as I keep losing the monocular in the chair
cushion.

The fireplace screen hides this when necessary, so I haven't taken it out of
the fireplace in probably 10 years. I do vacuum out the pellets and target
fluff every year or two, whether it needs it or not.

I am waiting for 10 meter, (actually, I am really only 7 meters from the
target, so 7 meter recliner shooting to become an Olympic event...

Clay trap? What is this, please?

Dave Hinz