Roger R

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Roger R" wrote in message
snip

A possible drawback with many wrenches is they can only set the

torque in
one direction, unlike the Britool range where the wrench can be

turned over
and the drive pushed through enabling reverse torque to be applied.

Well, talk about penny pinching design, I would disregard any wrench
that doesn't have a reversible action at the drive end, what else have
the designers skimped on - just how much extra does it cost to make
the thing with a standard reversible ratchet head or 'push-through'
drive....

Most have the 'standard reversible ratchet head' but don't have the push
through drive. Classic Britool torque wrenches have the push through drive
but no ratchet action. As you say implementing the simple push through
drive feature looks like an economy too far, but maybe there is a patent on
the push through drive?

I was daft enough to think that when I switched the direction lever on the
standard ratchet head torque wrench the direction of the torque action would
change too. Of course it didn't and when tightening in the reverse
direction I began to realise the set torque must have been exceeded. Then
it dawned on me there was no torque indication in the reverse direction.
Fortunately nothing came amiss.

Roger