Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
doozer writes:
AFAIK the regs don't apply in this particular case as it was low voltage
data cable not mains.

Wiring regs apply to all fixed cabling, including extra low voltage
data cabling.

The original Part P did apply to all such wiring. I suggested a
correction to this in my consultation response, but like most of
the responses, that was ignored. When the ODPM realised that you
now needed to do a building notice to change the batteries in your
doorbell (and for that matter to do any Cat 5 or aerial cabling
anywhere as it was not in the list of exemptions), they did issue
an update, but I don't recall what it said, except the first
correction still excluded anything in the kitchen (i.e. still need
a building notice to change batteries in a doorbell in the kitchen).
I haven't bothered keeping up with their subsequent updates -- it's
just too depressing seeing exactly how incompitent they really are.

--
Andrew Gabriel