S. Endon-Lee

Default Re-covering kitchen worktops

Jerry Built ] wrote in message news:D3B1OFGKJVHTEKONHWIEFQGNAMFWDVH1MEMIDVN2@zip lip.com...
"S. Endon-Lee" wrote:
Is there something like a hard-wearing form of sticky-back plastic
(suitable for kitchens) that I could simply glue over the existing
worktop? If so, where can I find it - there doesn't seem to be
anything like it in the 'sheds'. It would need to be flexible
enough to 'roll-over' the chamfered front edge of the worktop,
otherwise I'm sure it would lift in no time flat.

Hi Sid, you might think about using sheets of Formica - you'd
need to attach a strip of timber to the front of your existing
worktop, though.

===============# = is Formica
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@## # is new timber moulding
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@# @ is existing "worktop".
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@#

You use impact adhesive with this stuff, so you must be very
careful to set up the Formica dead right before you glue it
on, you don't get two chances!

You'd need to make up a moulding (router?) or even machine off
the "nose" of the counter if possible, then attach the moulding
to the existing top, leaving a rebate suitable to take the
Formica. The Formica could then be loose-fitted, trimmed, and
then the top and Formica glued before sticking the Formica on.

J.B.

Wow!

thanks to everybody for their replies.

I'm really surprised there isn't a product matching what I'm after.
My father's kitchen worktop seems to be covered in a 2-3 mm thick
layer which curves over the front edge, and is extremely hardwearing -
he demonstrates using it as a cutting board with no apparent effect on
the surface, so I assumed you could just buy rolls of the stuff, if
you knew what to ask for.

I've experienced Formica before - unless the product has changed in
substance and only retained the name, I wouldn't be keen on it. In my
limited experience it 'lifted' easily, cracked, scratched, and if
broken left sharp jagged bits. Possibly it was installed improperly,
but this was in three different kitchens. Your experiences may vary.

Thanks for the suggestions - I didn't think of tiling or a wood
veneer. Of all of them, I like the wood veneer idea the best.

Best Regards,

Sid