kaboom

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 07:57:22 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"kaboom" wrote in message
.. .

**I love my VCRs *and* I love my DVD recorder as well as my DVD
players I use them all. It's a bummer that VCRs are hard to get in
brick and mortar stores (well, except for the el cheapos). It just
forces people to the Internet if you want a better VCR, hmm, maybe I
should just say more expensive. It's sad that you can't get good VCRs
anymore.

What's to like about VCR's? They were great for a while, but whenever I use
mine (nice high end Sony from a few years back) I'm struck with how crappy
the picture looks in comparison to DVD's, add to that the tapes are big and
clunky, wear out with age, have to be rewound, etc. Now that DVD-R's are
inexpensive I see no more reason to keep a VCR around than an old DOS PC,
with both I keep one stashed around for those rare times I need to use
legacy material.

**When I'm talking about why I like VCRs, I'm talking about what I've
already taped/archived off of TV. Basically programs or movies that
won't be showing up on a pressed DVD anytime soon. I have a lot of old
stuff like tennis matches, etc. For instance, as soon as ST: Voyager
came out on DVD, the tapes went into the record-over pile. I never
bought actual commercial movies on VHS. Well, maybe a few. I didn't
become an avid movie watcher until I bought a DVD player. There's no
comparison. Eventually, I'll burn many of those archived tapes to DVD
so I can watch them and not worry about wearing out the tape but I
won't get rid of the tapes. I presently have a really nice older
Panasonic VCR with a great picture, I wish I could get another one.
Also, a lot of people would like a nice VCR so they can archive their
videos with the best picture possible.

Another reason I still like VHS, I tape a lot of stuff for my family.
When they're done with them, I tape over them again. If I find
something I seriously want to archive (which lately is not often) then
I tape it as well as burn it.

For me, it comes down to: the longevity of burnt DVDs isn't
established yet. I have VCR tapes from the early 80s that still
function. So I guess it's a wait and see thing. Depending on people's
needs, some have reasons to keep VCRs around and some don't, no
biggie.

kaboomie