Tony

Default Scottish Gas ripoff?

Jackie wrote:
Hi I just found out today that my sister in law(a widow) is paying Scottish
gas £3500 to replace her old boiler and hot water tank central heating
system with a combi boiler. They will be removing the old hot water tank and
boiler etc that was installed about 20 years ago which supplied hot water
and radiators. Is this about a fair price nowadays or is Scottish Gas taking
the ****?
The old boiler is leaking as is the hot water tank hence the need for
replacement. She had a maintenance contract but they said her old boiler was
too old to be repaired and they could no longer get spare parts so cancelled
the contract last year and of course it now needed fixing.
It is too late to do anything about it now as they started work today but I
just wondered if she could have got a better deal elsewhere

Thanks Jackie

Need to know more details - spec of boiler, fitting issues etc. For
comparison 12 months ago we (in Cumbria) had quotes for a new oil fired
boiler (Worcester somewhere in the mid-top of range) and new hot water
tank. Quotes from 3 companies ranged from 2500 to 3400. The top quote
came from Shell Direct. We went with a local plumbing company, the
cheapest quote and by reputation the best of the local bunch.

We still regret the decision! Various problems during install, the
worst of which was not checking their initial connection to the oil line
so that when we came home late in the evening we had a utility room
flooded with oil. They never commissioned the boiler we had to get
someone else to do that. Twelve months later we got a further bill out
of the blue for various things they'd presumably forgotten to bill us
for first time round. So sometimes you do "get what you pay for"

tony