T i m

Default Different honeys

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:48:03 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

Pictures ...
And for web use they needn't slow things down, I use a nominal 320x240
image size for photographs on my website compressed so that each is
just over 20k. Even ones with lots of detail and thus hefty
compression to get the size down don't show it on screen.

Tell me more.

I don`t know if you have a digital camera (or can get access to one), but
reducing the size of the image is really pretty easy. I use a program
(free) called Irfanview for most of my simple image manipulation, and
there`s an option under the "image" menu to "resize / resample".

www.irfanview.com

Hi Colin,

I'll second the use of IrfanView for such tasks.

I found it a few years ago when it was even simpler than it is now and
was probably the first example of true 'freeware' that was actually
very good!

It's one of the first things I install (after the OS) on a PC these
days, along with ZoneAlarm, AVG, AdAware, Popup Stopper etc.

I've had a digital camera for over 6 years (Fuji DX5, DX7, DX10 now
F420) and have used IrfanView to quickly 'crop' and / or resize the
pictures. I rarely 'retouch' the pictures as they are often
engineering refrence shots rather than portraits etc.

All the best ..

T i m