Ray Sandusky

Greg

At close range, the stuff still looks like walnut - maybe I need stronger
glasses!

Ray

"Greg G." wrote in message
news
Ray Sandusky said:

Are you sure it is oak?
It looks like Walnut to me -
It is not ugly, I have seen much worse in my own shop!

Ray

Thanks, Ray. And believe me - I have many, many ugly things
in my shop - not the least of which is me.

As for the Oak vs. Walnut mini-debate, look at this close up of a
portion of non-spalted wood and make your decision accordingly.
Freshly cut with a 1/2" gouge, and not sanded. There is a streak of
visible spalting running up the right side.

http://www.thevideodoc.com/images/Tu...akorWalnut.jpg

This is the same piece of wood - mostly spalted...

http://www.thevideodoc.com/images/Turned_Vase_1xl.jpg

Whadda ya think?

Greg G.