F Maresca

Hello Barry,

You may what to try an antihistamine before you work with some of these
woods if they do not make you sleepily. Unfortunately, you will need to
clean up very careful as dust just lying around could case another reaction.
Your body may not react the same again, but it could be worse. I would
suggest you see an allergist and you may want to keep an epipen handy. I am
not sensitive to woods but have had similar reactions to other things one
summer but never had it again. Some people get worse with more exposure,
chemical, like the solvents in some glues can make it worse. I have heard of
a few turners who will not touch some of these woods for the reaction they
can get. Be careful and remember that some of the spalted woods can cause
similar problems, protect your lungs and be safe first.

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
.. .
I just came from my doctor's office. I turned one winestopper from a piece
of cocobolo yesterday.

After I finished turning, I was in the shower within an hour. When I got
out of the shower I noticed some redness on the insides of both elbows and
applied some over-the-counter Cortisone 10 cream.

I awoke this morning with raised welts and itching. Also, on the area
under
my watch. I applied more Cortisone 10.

I went on to work, but left at noon to go to the doctor.

I had a minor reaction with cocobolo once before, but it was rather mild.
Actually, I had forgotten about it. This reaction was much worse and I
don't think I will forget for quite some time. I thought I was being
extra
careful by showering quickly, but apparently this was not enough.

Would long sleeves and dust collection help? Or, should I just forget
about
turning one of my very favorite woods? What other exotic woods should I
avoid? I'm guessing all of the rosewoods. By the way, the winestopper is
beautiful, but it's gonna be an expensive one!

Barry