Colin Wilson

Default Different honeys

Pictures ...
And for web use they needn't slow things down, I use a nominal 320x240
image size for photographs on my website compressed so that each is
just over 20k. Even ones with lots of detail and thus hefty
compression to get the size down don't show it on screen.

Tell me more.

I don`t know if you have a digital camera (or can get access to one), but
reducing the size of the image is really pretty easy. I use a program
(free) called Irfanview for most of my simple image manipulation, and
there`s an option under the "image" menu to "resize / resample". You
simply tell it the width (or height) or a percentage you want the image
shrinking by and hit OK - it will resize the picture instantly, and you
just "save as" a different filename if you don`t want to overwrite the
original picture.

If you save the image as a .jpg file you will typically see the best
compression. A .jpg may also give you a "quality" option that allows you
to alter the compression ratio - the lower the %percentage, the lower the
resultant image detail - about 75% is the usual setting, but even 50% is
passable, and in a quick test reduced an image from from 27k at 80% to
20k at 50% (320x214). I`d stick the results on a webpage, but my b***dy
webpage server has fallen over, but to "describe" the difference, you
could still make out fine whiskers on my dog at 80%, but at 50% the
finest details were all but gone (the overall image was still good
though, and perfectly usable for normal purposes)

www.irfanview.com

You might also want to get a set of plugins that go along with the main
program (also free) which will allow it to handle a lot more types of
files.