Andy Hall

Default Re-covering kitchen worktops

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:16:59 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

But remember that tiles are unforgiving, drop ceramic or glass on it and it
doesn't have much chance.

Oh I fully agree - I don't like them as kitchen worktops at all - I like
my kitchen worktop like my TV room floor - laminate :-) (I wonder if AH
is reading?)

' course I am. All I can say is that in the almost three years
since the worktops have been granite and the floor slate, the rate of
breakages has not increased and is very small.

Careful is not an adjective that I'd apply to either of the kids
either. I can think of a few others, but they are not repeatable in
polite company like Mary's.

I've dropped glasses and cups on the previous laminate worktop and the
granite ones. Sometimes they break, sometimes not.
The granite, and I don't see tiles differently, are not an automatic
death sentence to glassware or crockery any more from what I've seen
than laminate.

The slate is no worse than anything else that you might use in a
kitchen - except perhaps carpet, but I don't know of anybody with
carpet in a kitchen - that strikes me as being as revolting as carpet
in a bathroom.

But I think it's probably the only way to end up with a good looking
hard wearing worktop while still using the one already there.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl