Barry N. Turner

Maybe it's not ebony. Could it be African Blackwood? Maybe it's another
wood that has been dyed?

The ebony I've turned is completely without pores. I've turned both Gaboon
and Macassar Ebony and have not noticed the pores in either.

Barry

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've never seen anything quite like this - they look like tiny, densly
packed scratches. I've actually dipped the piece (a chopstick) in the
Starbond-brand very thin instant glue, and after it has set up I'm left
with long lines of bubbles above the scratches. Sanding this down and
redipping results in the same, though perhaps fewer, scratches (pores)
showing. Sanding the piece completly reveals perhaps 25% less scratches
than before - the glue is either pulling out or nor entering, it seems,
whitch is unusual in my experience with CAs. I'll order some Hotstuff
brand from Hut or Woodcraft to see if this batch from Starbond is not
good. The ebony is very old, a recycled fretboard; I've not worked
with gaboon, or any ebony, much but I don't think pores like this are
common - I've never seen it before and other ebony I've seen looks
quite smooth.

Does anyone have any thoughts?