D Murphy

hoseman wrote in
news
n it where the tap would be inserted to guarantee that the
tap threads straight into the hole to be threaded. I could simply
drill a clearance hold in some scrap metal, but if I wanted to
machine such a guide,there must be some good ideas out there.
It could be a rectangular solid with a row of holes different
diameters, it could be a disk, etc. What do most people use?

I know of other techniques using the drill press chuck, a spring-
loaded tap guide, etc, but in this application, I would like a simple

Another option would be to make a small hand tapper like the one Flexbar
makes:
http://www.flexbar.com/machine-tools.htm It's a little more than half way
down the page. It's also handy for hand reaming holes. You can also see
what their tapping block looks like there as well.

--

Dan