R. O'Brian

12" of pea gravel will stop anything you are likely to shoot from the
shoulder. A 1 cubic foot steel(5 sides) box with one open side covered
with heavy reinforced rubber(PU truck bed mat) and a hinged top makes a good
indoor bullet trap. The pea gravel is converted to dust by the bullet
impacts and the gravel level gradually falls in the process, hence the
hinged top to add more gravel. The rubber will need to be replaced
periodically.
Cheap to build and easy to maintain. Mine stops 30-06 soft-points in less
than 6" penetration.

Randy

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
I came to the realization that I can shoot in the plant after hours

without
disturbing the neighbors. You can't hear even a .45 from the office yet
alone outside. So, I figured I'd weld-up a trap. I'm sure I could bodge
something together from the stock racks but would appreciate a plan or

some
idea. I'd let Roger (engineer) do it but the last one he built he said he
had to move with a crane. I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. ( I only need a
soup-can size!G) How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'? .223? I'll
probably shoot .22s most due to cost. I did Google without joy.

Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)