hoseman

Thanks for the info, it was what I was looking for. - Not to make it
too big, can't get close to edges. The idea of using inserts, I
hadn't thought of. I remember years ago on jigs making hardened drill
guides. Thanks for all the tips -

Jim

On 1 Apr 2005 08:34:00 -0800, "
wrote:

Remember that you need the hole drilled vertical if you are going to
use a guide to make sure the tap is vertical.

I have two sorts of drill/tap guides. One in a bit of scrap 1 by 4
that I drill the hole on a drill press so it is vertical. It is quick
to make and easy to dispose of.

The other are some drill guides I got a Boeing Surplus. They are
plastic about 1.5 inch in diameter and about the same height. They are
threaded for a half inch bolt. Bolts with different size holes can be
screwed in to them.

Dan