John Savage

writes:
In fact, here in NJ, the state recently instituted a tax on tires to help
pay for getting rid of them, because no one wants them.

A recent tv doco showed a new recycling scheme for discarded tyres that
is being licenced around the world. To start with the tyre is soaked in
oil for a length of time and this causes it to magically soften and the
wire reinforcing can be easily drawn out. Then it is shredded and
subjected to microwave heating. (I forget at which stage the steel fibres
in the belt are extracted.) The result of a one car ty a few spoonsful
of carbon powder, half a cupful of steel fibres each about the length of a
toothpick, and 2 litres of oil. All these are of value to industry, with a
nett return of $2 I think it was after costs are taken out. Apparently all
of the tyre is converted so this makes the used tyre 100% recyclable.