Andy Hall

Default Scottish Gas ripoff?

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:10:34 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:32:19 +0100, "Jackie"
wrote:

Hi I just found out today that my sister in law(a widow) is paying

Scottish
gas £3500 to replace her old boiler and hot water tank central heating
system with a combi boiler. They will be removing the old hot water tank

and
boiler etc that was installed about 20 years ago which supplied hot water
and radiators. Is this about a fair price nowadays or is Scottish Gas

taking
the ****?

Without all the details (and the devil is sometimes in that), it's not
easy to be accurate, because there may be a need to do a fair bit of
new pipework. However, if there isn't, this price is at the top of
the market.

At an educated guess, she could have saved anything up to 50% of that
figure by going to a local heating engineer.

Well, in all fairness, they give the price in advance, it's up to the
customer to say yea or nay.

Mary

Well yes, except that they are playing on their "safe" reputation as
"the gas board".

That could reasonably command some price premium, I suppose, but I
think that they are abusing their position.

Sooner or later, consumers will begin to wise up, and then,
justifiably, BG will be screwed.

Form without substance works for a little while, but sooner or later
collapses like the house of cards it is, and usually spectacularly.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl