Wanderer

Default Digging a trench for electricity cable

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:07:43 +0100, Nigel Mercier ® wrote:

I need to dig a trench for an electricity cable, about 25 metres from
the source. I'm crossing a lawn, and I think the regs say 60mm deep.

Is it an installation cable or a main service cable for an alteration or
new supply. If the trench is for a service cable, ask the leccy company
what depth they want it. There are regulations that cover that.

If it an installation cable then go for about 450mm/18inches a a rule of
thumb.

Has anyone got any tips how to dig it? Trencher? Hired labour? DIY?

Depends how much you like a bit of physical work. For 25m across a lawn,
I'd dig it by hand. Spread some sheeting across the lawn to take the
excavated spoil, cut the turves off the top and lay to one side.

Make sure the first shovelfuls of soil backfill around the cable are
reasonably free of stones. If you leave sharp stones pressing into the
cable, they may eventually cause damage. Don't forget to lay a marker tape
along the top of the cable.

When you back fill, do it layers of about 6" and ram or compact it as best
you can, then put the turves back down and it should settle down reasonably
well given a few weeks.