WillR

George wrote:
"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message

. It is not up to you to

prove innocence -- rather up to the complainant to prove guilt...

Would be very hard to do. The person would need to confess and don't most
western countries have a statute or something that says a person does not
have to incriminate themselves?
mick

Presumption of innocence is a point of _criminal_ law, not tort.

Although it is now off topic....

If there is no presumption of innocence for a tort offense... Then the
logical conclusion might be that in an American Court one need only make
an accusation. and the guilty party will be subsequently fined and
possibly imprisoned for a Tort offense. I am curious. Is this true?

Back on topic....

The Copyright Acts now have criminal offense provisions for treaty
signatories as it is now equated to theft in some cases... It is not
automatically a Tort or a criminal offense - it depends on the venue and
who is "making the charges". This occurs in "Name Brand Theft" etc.
where your customs people and your FBI gets involved in the large scale
manufacture of Copyrighted Items -- everything from MS Windows to Jeans...

....So my comment on the necessity of proving guilt was in my mind on
target. Particularly if you wish to pursue someone for copying your work...

Better to simply ignore other peoples work -- except in a general sense
and come up with your own designs and ideas...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek