nightjar

"Kris" wrote in message
We live in a small village and have one of the few old mercury lamps
right outside the bedroom.

It used to come on at dusk and go off just after midnight.
Something has gone wrong or been adjusted because it now
stays on until 2.30 am.

Does anyone know how they work ? I assume the switch on is
light sensitive and the off a timer. About 6 in the area seem to be
linked to the same timings.
Can I just ask the council to readjust something before I purchase
some blackout curtains ! ?

Not sure who is responsible these days, but this used to be done by
Electricity Boards in the days before privatisation. It is a simple
adjustment of a timeswitch that is required.

Colin Bignell