Owain

markzoom wrote:
I hope you're not implying I'm "stupid". I have a number of good
reasons for wanting to run wires IN a purpose made skirting board:

You're talking about manufacturing your own skirting trunking from wood
- which isn't really the same as skirting board.

I may want to add low voltage wiring at a later stage, from green
energy generation, so I want electrics to be accessible.

From a UK regs perspective, low voltage wiring could not be run in the
same compartment (single trunking) as mains, unless the LV cable is
insulated to mains voltage. I think Cat5 data cables usually are, but
phone, alarm, doorbell and others might not be. Multi-compartment
trunking is used in the UK to get round this, with cunning adaptor bits
where the lv faceplates are mounted over the mains compartment.

From a practical perspective, running long lenths of mains in close
proximity to alarm/phone/speaker wiring may cause electromagnetic
incompatiblity (hum on speakers or phone, false triggering on alarms).

Another thought - how are you heating the place? If you are having
skirting trunking all the way round, it might make it a bit awkward
getting CH pipes from under the floor to radiators on the wall above.

I worked in an office where exactly what you are talking about was done,
a skirting offset from the wall about 2" with CH pipes and phone wiring
in the gap. (That was in the days when a fax machine was new and
exciting, so no gigabit ethernet to the desktop.)

Owain