S. Endon-Lee

Default Re-covering kitchen worktops

Hello all,

I had a fairly good search in Google Groups and couldn't see this as a
previously discussed topic here, so I hope the question is not too
naive.

I have what seems like acres of dark-brown kitchen worktop in a fitted
kitchen - the covering is plastic of some type, patterned to look like
dark hardwood blocks. It nicely matches the dark-stained wooden
kitchen cabinets.

I'd like to brighten the kitchen up somewhat, and painting the
cabinets is easy - but is it possible to re-cover the worktop? I'm
reluctant to replace the worktop right now, as it will be a pig of a
job - the kitchen's walls are not square, they've been tiled to the
level of the worktop, and it seems pretty much structurally essential
to the lower cabinets.

Is there something like a hard-wearing form of sticky-back plastic
(suitable for kitchens) that I could simply glue over the existing
worktop? If so, where can I find it - there doesn't seem to be
anything like it in the 'sheds'. It would need to be flexible enough
to 'roll-over' the chamfered front edge of the worktop, otherwise I'm
sure it would lift in no time flat.

Many thanks,

Sid