andrewpreece

"Kris" wrote in message
We live in a small village and have one of the few old mercury lamps
right outside the bedroom.

It used to come on at dusk and go off just after midnight.
Something has gone wrong or been adjusted because it now
stays on until 2.30 am.

Does anyone know how they work ? I assume the switch on is
light sensitive and the off a timer. About 6 in the area seem to be
linked to the same timings.
Can I just ask the council to readjust something before I purchase
some blackout curtains ! ?

Chris

Not an expert, but I believe that street lamps are switched on by
a light sensitive switch, probably there is one between umpteen
lamps, you could see them on top of the selected lampost, a little
perspex cylinder, none of which helps you of course. On the bright side,
they are replacing old lamp with new full cut-off fixtures on a replacement
basis nowadays, so that should cut down the glare a bit for you when
they get around to your lamp-fitting.

Andy.