markzoom

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:36:59 GMT, "[news]" wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 30 Mar 2005 15:39:00 -0800, (markzoom)
wrote:

Are there any practical reasons why wiring should not be run behind skirting boards?
Mark

Fixings for the skirting board and that it is contrary to Wiring
Regulations. The latter doesn't mean that you *can't* put wiring
behind skirtings but when there is a wiring inspection (e.g as the
place changes hands) then it will fail.... This would be tearful.

is there always a wirinjg inspection when a domestic property changes hands ?

Generally only if the purchaser pays for a "full survey" or electrical
inspection. A lender's inspection may well not since the lender is
mainly interested in knowing if his security in the form of the
property is covered.

This may change with the new Sellers Pack idea.

However, there is normally a questionnaire as part of the conveyancing
to which the vendor has to reply.

An electrical contractor should not have done anything as stupid as
putting wiring behind skirting. So the implication would be of a
poorly executed DIY job

I hope you're not implying I'm "stupid". I have a number of good
reasons for wanting to run wires IN a purpose made skirting board:

It would be utterly pointless to run wiring INSIDE THE WALL behind a
skirting board.
The house is made of hard lava stone and I have no idea where the
stones project close to the surface of the plaster, so I'm not going
to start cutting grooves in it.
It is in an earthquake zone, so I want to keep as much structural
integrity as possible ( no 50mm+ deep grooves !)
It IS by far more unsafe to run wires in walls because people DO hang
pictures and shelves there (unlike skirting boards), in every house,
hence the big market for cable detectors.
I may want to add low voltage wiring at a later stage, from green
energy generation, so I want electrics to be accessible.
I may want to add (suitably heavy duty) spurs to extensions some
distance from the consumer unit at a later stage.

And last but not least: I have absolutely no faith in alleged
"experts" (In particular those who work for governments), they tend to
be self-opinionated assholes out to create work for themselves or
braindead drones whom I have proved wrong on various occasions .
That's why I asked the question here, where there is a higher chance
of common sense replies from normal people.

As you can see from the above, UK regulations would prevent me from
installing a common sense and adaptable wiring circuit. They might be
fine for your bog-average brit box but not for more exotic foreign
structures that will be adapted to green energy in the coming years.

Mark K.

who does it and how can they tell if there's any wiring behind the skirting ?

Normally an electrician belonging to one of the approaved trade
associations. It's pretty easy to find live wiring with a cheap
detector that you can buy on any hardware store.

genuine questions

RT