Appliance Repair Aid

JJ wrote:
We have a GE built-in microwave above the range and all of a sudden

the
cooking times needed to heat food have drastically increased. Is it
possible for a microwave to gradually wear out? This unit is only 7

yrs
old. I was under the impression, they either heated or didn't, and

didn't
think there was an in-between.

Anyway to check it?
Any thoughts?

Tired of 10 minute, lukewarm leftovers!

Thanks,

Hi,

We have a GE built-in microwave above the range

Model#?

all of a sudden the
cooking times needed to heat food have drastically increased.

There are a few things that can weaken and slow down the cooking but
the magnetron itself is most common for taking longer and longer to
warm something up.

I was under the impression, they either heated or didn't, and didn't
think there was an in-between.

You where wrong

Low output. Occurs as cathode emission decreases from long use.
Symptom: Reduced cooking power.

Anyway to check it?

How long does it take to boil 1 cup of water?
Something below may help...
http://an.hitchcock.org/repairfaq/sam/micfaq.htm

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid