John Rumm

Default Air Conditioning unit advice wanted

Andrew McKay wrote:

But a 12x12 room? No chance. I've got 2 PCs in my study, combined they
chuck out about 500w of heat. The mobile aircon just about keeps up,
but only just. If I go sit in the study to admire the slightly lower
temperature it's over the top. And my study is something like 6x9.

It seems the performance must vary a fair bit depending on the unit....
I have seen powers ranging from 4000 btu/hour to over 14000 for
monoblock units.

I use a 8000 btu/h in my office (approx 12'x10'x7'6"). With only 2 PCs
on, and me in it, the temp is currently 25.6c. The room next door is
currently 32c. It much less humid in here as well.

Basically these mobile units are a pile of pooh. Don't bother is my
suggestion. I understand from comments made by others that you really
need a dual unit, where the fan is inside and the heat exchanger is
outside (I hope I remembered that right). Expect to pay a grand or
more for something like that.

I would go along with the recommendation for a split unit, although I
would not be quiet as disparaging about the monoblocks if you get one
with enough power and can put up with the noise (i.e. probably not ideal
for the bed room!) Expect to pay 350 quid or more for a decent one though.

--
Cheers,

John.