John Rumm

John wrote:

As nobody has suggested faults between neutral and earth, check this out as
this will trip a RCD if neutral to earth volts is significant, like a few
volts. I think its about 1v-3v here. If the neutral voltage is drifting
about at your location that might explain why it trips at random.

I thought I would leave that possibility out since it sounded like the
MCB/Fuse for the circuit was opening rather than a RCD (which if present
may not even be protecting the lighting circuit). Perhaps the OP could
give us some more details of his setup?

--
Cheers,

John.