fred

In article , Richard Faulkner
writes
Hi,

I live in a flat where the letterboxes are a bank of 7 at the front
door. They all have normal letterbox flaps but the mail falls into a
fairly shallow box and is easily removed from outside.

Some of my mail is being stolen from my letterbox - before I get to it,
and I am reasonably sure that someone is having a go at identity theft
or similar.

The simplest answer would be 7 new letterbox fronts, (i.e. the flaps +
surrounds), which are too narrow to get fingers through, and with a lip
on the inside so the letters fall below the lip.

I can find lots of normal letterbox flaps, but none that are narrow, nor
with the security lips.

Fix a couple of L-shaped plates behind the flap to reduce the depth to
less than finger size or certainly less than hand knuckle size.

| |
/|| |
/ ||___|
/ |
/ |_______
/
/ plates
flap / _______
/ |
/ |
/ | ___
/ || |
|| |
| |

Plates could be Ali but will need to be larger then the slot width and
well fixed at the sides, not just top and bottom, in order to resist
being bent out of the way.

The higher the slot the greater the distance between probing fingers and
the mail, wont stop use of wire/tools tho' but will hopefully discourage
the casual thief.

How's that?
--
fred