Anthony

Peter Fairbrother wrote in
:

Any hints for turning pure copper?

I tried a medium positive rake, very sharp tool, fine feed, and high
speed, but that broke the tool (and the expensive workpiece) when it
dug in, and a negative rake doesn't cut, it just rubs (and probably
work-hardens too).

Lathe is about as tight as I can get it, overhangs as short as
possible. I'm turning the soft state, but I could perhaps heat-treat
it somehow if that would help.

I can't work-harden the piece first though. Neither can I use much
tool pressure - it's a diffusion-brazed assembly of thin pieces.

Thanks,

Try a pcd (diamond) insert.

--
Anthony