Jerry Martes

Bob

I just read your post below and missed the original post by Ken. If ken
is looking for info on the current draw of a 24 volt starter solenoid, he
has to identify which of the two winding in the solenoid he wants to know
the current draw of.
The "over the road, 18 wheeler" type starter solenoids are *not* difficult
to get alot of data on. The diesel starter (Delco 40 MT type) will draw
alot more current from the start button than a Chevy starter (Delco 10 MT).

I wonder how difficult it would be to locate an old 12 volt alternator
rotor that draws about 6 amps field current with 12 volts applied.. I think
an old (1980) Chevy alternator draws about 6 or 8 amps That would probably
handle 24 volts for a while, depending on how well it gets cooled.

I sure wouldnt use a truck starter solenoid as an inductive load. They
have two windings with the same number of turns but much different wire
size.
If Ken wants to phone Marks One, in Phoenix Arizona, he can get all the
automotive solenoid current draw info he'll ever need. Or Ken can contact
me. I do alot of work with Marks One (solenoid builders)

Jerry

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Why does the load need to be inductive?

Bob Swinney
"Ken Finney" wrote in message
Off-topic, but the learned denizens here are pretty good at asking
bizarre
questions.

I need an inductive load to switch a 28 VDC 12 A circuit into. Note that
this is a one time test circuit, and I don't want to break the bank. My
initial thought was to parallel a couple of 28 VDC relay coils to get the
12
A current. What I'm finding is that most of the relay coils draw less
than
an amp, and I don't want have to parallel 16 relays to draw that much
current. Does anyone have a better suggestion for me? I'm having zero
luck
finding out how much an automotive starter solenoid draws, if I could
find a
24 VDC diesel starter solenoid that requires 3 or more amps, that would
probably be doable.