Steve Knight

I have experienced 'shiny' output from my planer and noticed, that
unless I scuffed it with 220 grit, the sealer coat simply wouldn't soak
in as well. I noticed this on a solid cherry toe-kick where the
'out-of-sight' side behaved quite differently through the finishing
stages causing me to experiment.

I have also sanded walnut burl progressively to 4000 grit, which also
became pleasantly 'shiny' and the finish soaked in quite well.

myself I don't use the wood right off the planer or jointer. but I have sanded
the wood to very fine grits and it finish fine. I glue up the wood all the time
right from the jointer without issues.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes