Jeff Wisnia

Ken Finney wrote:
Off-topic, but the learned denizens here are pretty good at asking bizarre
questions.

I need an inductive load to switch a 28 VDC 12 A circuit into. Note that
this is a one time test circuit, and I don't want to break the bank. My
initial thought was to parallel a couple of 28 VDC relay coils to get the 12
A current. What I'm finding is that most of the relay coils draw less than
an amp, and I don't want have to parallel 16 relays to draw that much
current. Does anyone have a better suggestion for me? I'm having zero luck
finding out how much an automotive starter solenoid draws, if I could find a
24 VDC diesel starter solenoid that requires 3 or more amps, that would
probably be doable.

Unless I missed something, Ken.....

I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering how the thread got this
far along without anyone asking you if you've got any idea what value of
inductance you need to create the right test setup and how much
saturation of that inductor would be acceptable at 12 amps dc.

Without that information, I can't imagine how you can expect to run a
very meaningful test.

If you'd tell us more about what the thing you are testing has to do,
and what kind of inductive device it normally controls, there's lot's of
guys here who could give you a better handle on what to use.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)