Default Can I put gravel on top of pavement

Hi,
My wife and I recently moved into an old house in upstate NY. The ruts
in the driveway are getting terrible. The driveway was orginally paved.
About 2/3 of it has been dug up because there was an old buried tank
that needed to be excavated prior to us purchasing the house.

We really don't have the money now to put down a new paved driveway.
Is it ok to put down crushed gravel? Obviously the dirt sections
should be fine but the areas that still have pavement concern me.

Please help!