Ed Sirett

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:26:30 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:27:04 GMT, "al"
wrote:

"basil" wrote in message
. ..
Looking at the screwfix ones I cant make out how they attach.

the one at the bottom of this page looks like the Wickes ones I have;
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ves/d20/sd2762

Speaking of which, I want to get Thermostatic Valves for the upstairs
bedrooms, as they get hot a lot quicker than the ambient temperature
downstairs where the main thermostat is. Any recommendations on good,
reliable makes? I've heard a few stories about some of them getting stuck
on/off and doing buggar all after a while ...

I've always used Invensys/Drayton TRV4s and had good results. In
general, I think that you could expect good behaviour from any of the
branded products like Honeywell or Pegler.

IME this is one of the few products which goes against the usual wisdom of
you pay for what you get. I have found that the cheap TRVs seem to last
longer and go on operating longer. Whilst the ACL Drayton units seem to be
the priciest and shortest lived. Furthermore I have found them to be more
flow direction sensitive (whilst claiming bi-direction).

However this is not reason to set aside you-pay-for-what-you-get just yet,
except in this matter.