Gerald Ross

Steve Knight wrote:
Well finally after a two month wait I got my byrd spiral cutterhead today
http://www.byrdtool.com/
. It is a generic 6" head and we were not sure if it would fit the shopfox or
not. How's this for a box?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/cutter1.jpg
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/cutter2.jpg

They included 10 replacement cutters and the tool to fit them.
I bought replacement bearings and that's a good thing I did not want to try to
remove the old ones it was worth the extra 15.00
I had to use a block of wood to install the bearings but it only took some
extra time. It is easy to remove the old cutterhead you just lower both tables
all the way and t here are two nuts on the bottom of the casting to remove and
it comes out. Installing it is just a reverse. The key was a very tight fit so
I had to install the pulley before I put the cutterhead back on.
So I get it all tight raise the table to find the cutterhead just hit it. Well
not all of the cutters just a few. It's the same with the infill table too. So
I remove it and hit the edges with the angle grinder a couple of tries and the
problem is solved. I am not sure if the head was a bit too big around or it's
just the tables I know I had to make sure the knives were down in the cutterhead
a fair amount or they hit the tables too.
But once that was done I got the tables back to normal and everyone else stood

snip

I like the way the cutters cut at an angle. Somehow I
thought they were just staggered, not also angled. The shop
where my son works has a great big ol' spiral cutter planer.
He said when they got dull the company sent out two men who
spent all day rotating the cutters. (They probably serviced
other parts too).

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA