Robatoy

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

[snipperified]

The wood is nice and
shiny and no tearout. I tried bubinga and a couple other tropicals and some
curly maple and plain cherry and they came out shiny and tearout free.

That is truly a piece of tooling that looks like it should work
fabulously.

I recall, although I don't recall the source, a discussion about freshly
machined 'shiny' wood. One side of the discussion called it a phenomenon
similar to 'case-hardening' in metal. The mechanical action, so the
discussion went, left a glazed barrier layer, micro thin, on the surface
of the wood.
I have experienced 'shiny' output from my planer and noticed, that
unless I scuffed it with 220 grit, the sealer coat simply wouldn't soak
in as well. I noticed this on a solid cherry toe-kick where the
'out-of-sight' side behaved quite differently through the finishing
stages causing me to experiment.

I have also sanded walnut burl progressively to 4000 grit, which also
became pleasantly 'shiny' and the finish soaked in quite well.

Has anyone here experienced that?

Or are the bats in my belfry on the rampage again?

0?0
?

Rob