IMM

Default Connecting in to an existing sewer

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message
IMM wrote

"MrCheerful" wrote in message

"Frank Fisher" wrote in message
m...
How do I go about doing this? I'm putting a new bathroom in, and the
soil pipe is too far from the old one to redirect - I know there is

sewer running just below the garden (it's on the council charts) and
my guttering drain already flows to this. Can I route my guttering
elsewhere, hook into that drain (with some kind of seal around it)

and
forget the issue, or do I need to dig down to the sewer and install
some kind of conenction there? The house/sewers are old - early
victorian. Or, is there a fixed charge for water companies to carry
out this work for me?

Any ideas?

It is rare for gutter water to go into a sewer.

It isn't in old houses and roads.

I agree, in London anyway. But neither is it rare to find the gutters

draining
into a dedicated surface water drain and thence into a public surface

water
sewer, quite separate from the foul water sewer.

And they both combine at the end anyhow.

The water authority would take
a very dim view of connecting foul water into that!

This case only has one drain.

The OP needs to ignore the
gutters and establish exactly the route of the existing foul water drains,

by
lifting manhole covers and flushing loos or running taps.

He needs to establish the route of all drains to the sewers.