Edwin Pawlowski

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in message

Now for the vapours....I try to keep to the water-based stains, paints,
etc, but every once in a while resort to an oil-based. If I'm using an
oil-based, I crank the basement window open (basement shop). I
recently purchased a cartridge-style respirator with organic vapor
filters for lung protection. Do I need to be worried about an
explosion from these vapors? What sort of concentration is required
before the flame will make a big 'poof.'

Brushing does not seem to be a problem as not enough vapors are released in
one application. Venting is still a good thing. Spraying is a different
story as the solvents are more atomized.

I was planning to use some contact cement on a project. I had
purchased latex CC, but advice from this forum recommended oil-based
CC. Based on the warnings on the can, I'm thinking maybe this stuff
should stay out of the basement shop.

YES. Many a kitchen has burned up when the contractor used CC to install
countertops.

On a slightly different note.....

I need to attach oak skins to kitchen cabinet sides. How dangerous is
this stuff to use on a main floor kitchen. I would close the basement
door to prevent the vapours sinking to the basement, and set up a fan
with windows open to exhaust the vapours.

See note above. My sister's new kitchen was done except of the counters.
POOF!