Doctor Evil

"Grunff" wrote in message
Doctor Evil wrote:

You now have a hybrid thermal store. Why did you add a plate heat

exchanger?

Because we have very hard water, I suspected that the coil would scale
up within 5-10 years. Replacing a plate exchanger is easy.

How did you pipe the coil/plate?

The tank had several spare blanked off threads at different levels. I
just used a spare pair, one about 1/3 of the way up, the other near the

top.

How does it perform?

There is little difference in performance. The only noticeable thing is
a small increase in hot water delivery, because of the lower resistance
of the plate exchanger compared to the coil.

So, you disconnected the coil? It would have been better to have used the
coil for the kitchen tap. As then you will prevent the pump from cycling on
and off. If the kitchen tap is opened for a second, which is quite common,
the pump will energise for no apparent benefit. You could have took the
outlet of the coil into the plate. Around the flowswitch have a flow
regulator, which is a cheap in-line isolator. This only brings the plate in
when there are high flows.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download