meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:16:14 -0500 "JANA"
posted:

CRT sets will last about 30,000 to 40,000 hours on the average. The new LCD
sets will probably last about 50,000 to 60,000 hours.

CRT sets are soon to no longer be manufactured. Support for them will soon
be very limited, if any at all.

But most of them don't break anyhow.

The picture quality on an LCD set will also
be superior to the CRT set.

Will be? But he's buying one now. If he wants to see which looks
better now, he can go to the store and look at each of them.

(Don't look at cartoons btw. They almost always look great. Look at a
complicated picture with lots of little things)

It is now a question of what you are willing to
pay for.

There are many advantages of the LCD set over the CRT one. It is a question
of, if you want to pay for the newer and better technology. For myself, if I
was to buy a TV set, I would buy an LCD one. This is my personal preference.

Some advantages of LCD sets a

Lower power consumption.
Internally runs much cooler.
Not very heavy to move around.

That can mean different things to different people. I though that LED
monitors were light until I actually picked one up. I guess not as
heavy as a crt monitor the same size, but much heavier than it looked.

Takes up a lot less space on a table top.
Does not use very high voltages inside, thus does not accumulate as much
dirt and dust.

I think of it as a dust remover for my house. Once it's in the set, I
never see it again. Seriously, I have a dusty house and for a while I
had smoke film from a badly adjusted oil furnace. Didn't affect the
tvs, except I had to clean the screen of some of them. Not sure if an
LCD screen would have gotten dirty too, but maybe.

Does not emit high amounts of electromagnetic radiation.
No ultraviolet emissions from the surface of the screen.
No X-Ray radiation.
No purity, or convergence errors.

These problems are not common anymore either. I did once walk by one
tv with a big magnet from a hifi speaker, but the built-in degausser
that all color sets have got rid of the problem after a couple weeks.

No corner focus problems.
The colour temperature will not drift very much with age.

Haven't seen any or much of these two either.

And I get all my tvs when they are several years old.

I did buy one new, a 12" color years ago when 210 dollars was the
cheapest they had. AOx something brand. It broke several times and
finally I couldn't fix it anymore. Don't think it was the picture
though. One time it was the turn on relay.

Some disadvantages:

The front of the screen is more delicate, and is easier to damage
(especially from children).
The viewing angles are more critical than a CRT set.
The contrast ratio is lower, but is still very acceptable.
When out of warranty, and some service is required, it is more expensive.

--

JANA
_____

Meirman