Shawn

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

Plus the fact that there are not a whole lot of 10 foot lathes around!

He said 10 foot bed. I've got a pair of 8 foot beds, which sit under
lathes that top out at about 5 feet between centers, both from the late
1800's at best guess, so I imagine his (which sounds similar) is perhaps
6 or 7 feet between centers. The old lathes have head and tailstocks
that take up a lot of real estate on the bed. So it's not _very_ long.
The swing is pretty good, however - if he's measuring 18" from the
center of the chuck to the ways, it's a 36" swing lathe, and that's
handy if you need it. But as an old change gear lathe, it's not sexy for
a lot of shops - hard to make money with in a production shop.

This lathe would probably fit 7' between centers.

Plus factoring in the freight/rigging....

One always does need to, and the seller must price accordingly if he
wants it to move before he dies and his heirs do. There's a size beyond
which the price can't simply track the increasing size, due to the
difficulty and expense of moving, and this is (IMHO) beyond that "two
guys and pickup truck" limit.

Well I can say that there is sufficient machinery to load it onto the truck.

If I were nearer SW Penn, I might be tempted, but I'm already at my
lathe limit until I sell one off, anyway. The old lathe makers often did
not really specialize in wood or metal lathes - you could get the same
bed, with a metal lathe headstock, cross-slide, etc, or with a simpler
setup for woodturning.

This one is for sure a metal lathe.