Wilson Lamb

The controller is not a constant current source, it's the opposite.
Constant current will give constant torque, so you'd go to max spped with no
load and stop as soon as the load torque corresponded to the current set in
the controller! It IS a (nearly) constant SPEED device. Current can rise
to whatever is needed to maintain speed, or until the motor or controller
blows. With the motor locked, such a controller can deliver full voltage to
the motor, at high current, frying it quickly.
WL
"Interious" wrote in message
I kind of figured purpose designed speed controls essentially act like
an intelligent constant current source. I thought I would ask about
the variac anyway just to rule the option out with certainty.

I think I'm going to get the 5625-20 and put it in a table for this
job. My experience is with a wimpy old craftsmen router and small
bits. Lots of learning to do.

By the way--I bought a Bosch 3/4" roundover bit at Lowes. Should I
return it for a Whiteside, CMT, etc.? MDF is the current medium.

Thanks to all for interesting responses.
Dave

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:50:47 -0500, Interious
wrote:

I've got a hunch this is probably a bad idea.
I bought a Milwaukee 5615 fixed speed router and I need to swing a
3/4" roundover bit (~18,000 rpm, according to Jesada). I'm wondering
if I should return this fixed version for the variable speed unit, or
if a 2kw variac will do the job?
Dave