Another Jewish Carpenter

glensmith wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for ideas to utilize some very wide old growth yellow cedar
boards. They are beautiful in that they are very fine grain, uniform in
texture and colour and stable (and great to work). But the same
characteristics also make they very plain (no figure etc.)

The only decent idea I have is to make native style square boxes with either
carved or appled native art.

I have things I can make if I cut them up but I can't bring myself to rip
them.

As a piece of wood most people (wood workers anyway) think they are
wonderful. Any ideas how that could be retained in a piece of furnture.

Thanks
Glen

I saw a beautiful Japanese Tansu cabinet set in Woodwork Magazine Oct.
1998 where they dyed yellow cedar with an organic purple dye and made
one of the most wonderful pieces of furniture I've seen. You would cut
up the board but once the tree has been fallen I think our duty is to
make it into as good a piece as we can so that it wasn't fallen in
waste. If you can find Woodwork issue #53 you should take a look.

JC