Mark

There is a built in book shelf in my grandson's bedroom. Before him two
other boys inhabited the room. They are pine. They have been repainted a
few times, but this is what I would recommend. They hold up just fine, pine
is cheap and the shelves are covered with books and toys - so you can't see
them anyway. Oh, by the way - the room has knotty pine walls - perfect for
young active boys compared to sheetrock. I remember when I was small, my
two older brothers would wrestle literally through the sheetrock!
Mark

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Roy Smith wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Bottom line: Pine will work, pine is cheap, the end result will end up
dented and will sag a fair bit under load (though I am assuming a 7 yr
old doesn't have a large collection of heavy books).

Short of building the thing out of cast iron, is there any material

which
will stand up to a 7 year old kid?

Well, he'd have to work pretty hard at destroying one of the ironwoods.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate