Paul

Greg G. wrote:
Greetings,

Well, for all those who endured the previous 5 projects,
here is my 6th turning project - A flower vase in spalted oak.
This could also quite possibly be the oddest looking thing I
have made yet. I can't quite decide if it is butt-ugly or artistic.

http://www.thevideodoc.com/images/Turned_Vase_1xl.jpg

I actually had some idea of what I wanted when I began this
particular project. Spring is upon us, and SWMBO needed
a vase for freshly cut flowers. This thing is the end result of
our efforts of hauling a half-rotten, slimy, bug infested, 4 foot
long oak log from the local park yesterday. I immediately
chain-sawed it up into smaller lengths, and proceeded to
turn this... uhh... thing.

It was lightly sanded and coated with tung oil, which made it
considerably darker than it was originally. I may coat it with a
coat of lacquer at some point in the future - if it's compatible...

Since you folks have been a veritable cornucopia of ideas when it
comes to turning techniques, how do you hollow the interiors of deep
vessels with narrow openings like this? The first few inches weren't
a real problem, I used a termite. But the deeper portions were quite
difficult as the tool rest won't go into the small opening to provide
for proper support of the tool. I used a curved bowl rest for a
portion of the interior, but even that wasn't enough when I got to the
very bottom.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg G.

Hey Greg, that looks good. What else are you doing with the log?

Paul.

--
Stop wasting wood. Timber doesn't grow on trees you know!