chris French

In message , Anna Kettle
writes
Two winters with no loft insulation is quite enough and I have been
costing the various options, which turn out to be

Wool batts

Flax rolls
Isowool rolls (glass fibre)

There is also Warmcel, which is a loose fill type insulation, made from
recycled newspaper AIUI

No experience.

http://naturalbuildingproductscouk.n...l100_insert.pd

http://naturalbuildingproductscouk.ntitemp.com/pdfs/warmcel_100.pdf

According to the price on this place:

http://www.womersleys.co.uk/acatalog/natural_insulation.html

it's about GBP4/m^2 at 100mm thick

Even if VAT needs to be added to the glass fibre option it still looks
loads cheaper than either of the others so I can see why the
eco-products haven't hit the mass market yet. I'd be prepared to pay a
bit more for them, but an order of magnitude more sticks in my gullet

Anyhow whats eco-unfriendly about glass fibre. Its only sand, isn't
it?

As others have said, the energy consumption for one. And sand has to
come from somewhere - either big hole in the ground, or from the sea

I hate glassfibre or rockwool, not just installing it, but I find I'm
very susceptible to irritation from it, so just going into a loft with
it in starts me itching, and I soon get rash on arms, neck etc. The
stuff encased in thin plastic sheeting is an improvement in this aspect,
but still not brilliant for me.
--
Chris French, Leeds