JANA

CRT sets will last about 30,000 to 40,000 hours on the average. The new LCD
sets will probably last about 50,000 to 60,000 hours.

CRT sets are soon to no longer be manufactured. Support for them will soon
be very limited, if any at all. The picture quality on an LCD set will also
be superior to the CRT set. It is now a question of what you are willing to
pay for.

There are many advantages of the LCD set over the CRT one. It is a question
of, if you want to pay for the newer and better technology. For myself, if I
was to buy a TV set, I would buy an LCD one. This is my personal preference.

Some advantages of LCD sets a

Lower power consumption.
Internally runs much cooler.
Not very heavy to move around.
Takes up a lot less space on a table top.
Does not use very high voltages inside, thus does not accumulate as much
dirt and dust.
Does not emit high amounts of electromagnetic radiation.
No ultraviolet emissions from the surface of the screen.
No X-Ray radiation.
No purity, or convergence errors.
No corner focus problems.
The colour temperature will not drift very much with age.

Some disadvantages:

The front of the screen is more delicate, and is easier to damage
(especially from children).
The viewing angles are more critical than a CRT set.
The contrast ratio is lower, but is still very acceptable.
When out of warranty, and some service is required, it is more expensive.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
Im in the market for e new "small" TV

I live alone and don't need a big huge TV

I can get a decent 20" analog crt based Tv for abt $150

Or a 19" flat LCD based Tv for abt $700

Im curious if LCD based television have less failure
problems than CRT based ones?

Any advice on this?

I don't mind spending a premium on new technology as
long as it has higher or AS high of reliability as the
older technology. Hence the question.